Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Beetroot chops recipe

Do you know how I love making bread rolls, aloo tikkis and chhole bhature on Sundays? Deep fried Indian snacks are my guilty pleasures hence I try adding healthy ingredients in my recipes. The lowers the guilt factor to a certain extent. I stuff bread samosas with seasonal vegetables or make aloo tikkis stuffed with peas. In one of the issues of BBC's Good Food India, I saw this recipe of beetroot or chukandar chops. I liked the idea and thought of trying it. The original recipe is sourced from the magazine to which I added some dry mint powder and mixed roasted seeds. I've recently grown fond of seeds (flaxseed, melon seeds, pumpkin seeds, cucumber seeds) and try consuming them on a daily basis. While I like to eat them plain, straight from the bottle, the husband throws a fit. So I sneak them in tikkis, salads etc (please don't tell him). In this recipe I used the roasted mixed seeds from Godrej Nature's Basket's Healthy Alternatives section





Ingredients
For patty
Potatoes (boiled, peeled and mashed) - 3 medium sized
Bread slices (I used brown bread) - 3 slices
Dry mango powder (amchoor powder) - 1 tsp
Red chilli powder - 1 tsp
Green coriander (chopped) - 1 tbsp
Green chillis (chopped) - 2
Salt to taste

Cornflour - 2 tbsp
Water - 1/2 cup
Oil - 2 tbsp

For filling
Beetroot (peeled and grated) - 2 medium
Carrot (grated) - 1 medium
Dry pudina powder - 1 tbsp
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Ginger (chopped) - 1 tsp
Raisins - 1 tbsp
Roasted peanuts (crushed) - 2 tbsp
Mixed roasted seeds (flax-seeds, melon seeds, pumpkin seeds, cucumber seeds) - 2 tbsp
Salt to taste
Oil - 1 tsp

Method
  1. Mix all the ingredients of the patty together and keep aside.
  2. Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds. When they splutter add ginger and saute for a minute.
  3. Throw in beetroot, carrot and rest of the ingredients and saute for 4-5 minutes. Let it cool.
  4. Divide potato mixture in 6 equal parts. Flatten each one on your palm, keep a little filling in the centre, close it and roll them into flat patties.
  5. Mix cornflour in water to make a paste.
  6. Heat little oil in a nonstick pan, dip each patty in the cornflour paste and place it on the pan.
  7. Fry till they turn golden on both sides.
  8. Serve with green mint chutney and sliced onions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...